Thursday, November 27, 2008

a very thankful thanksgiving

Yesterday was one of the best Thanksgivings I've ever had (no disrespect to my family at home-I miss you tons!). All of the TEFL volunteers from my stage were together in Parakou for a week-long teacher training so we had a huge feast: turkey on the grill, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, corn bread, stuffing with gravy, bread, salad, and fruit...it was heavenly. Keeping with tradition, I ate far too much and as a result I don't think I'll be hungry for a week. (However, this will not stop me from celebrating Thanksgiving a second time in Natitingou on Saturday.) But though the food was delicious, the best part of our dinner was definitely the company. We spent nearly four hours sitting around the table telling stories about home, our families and friends, college, work, post, and all the things we are most grateful for. We laughed, we cried, and we appreciated the chance to be together for the holiday. It was, I think, the most thankful Thanksgiving I've ever experienced. I love my fellow volunteers, and I feel so fortunate to be serving here in Benin with them!

Happy Turkey Day to everyone at home and across the globe! I love you and miss you!

4 comments:

loehrke said...

I'm so glad to hear that you had a great Thanksgiving in Parakou.
Although you were apart from your family in the states; you were able to spend it with your NEW family of PCVs.
All of you are missed back here and you were thought of all day....but we are very grateful that you had a joyous and stomach-stuffing day.
Happy Thanksgiving to you!!
Best, Mark Loehrke (Carly's dad)

Unknown said...

hey naimabean,

i'm sorry i was sleeping when you called - i dont think i would've been able to manage a coherent conversation, so i owe you one! I'm so happy to hear that you had such a good thanksgiving but you were very missed this year - jessie and i were helping mom cook and it wasnt the same without you (guess who had to do the dishes...boooo). haha anyway, I love you and miss you!

Kimmy

EdGod said...

Hey!
Ran into your Dad at Parents Night. He told ma about your newest adventure. I once told you I would enjoy watching from the sidelines the big life I knew you were going to have. This makes it easy.

I also told you the world needs idealistic liberals, but I didn't think you would take the world part so literally.
EdGod

Anonymous said...

Naima, when are you going to write another post and update us on your life?! I miss reading about it! I hope things are going well for you in Benin! We all miss you.

XOXOXOXOX
laner